World Suicide Prevention Day activities
Grassroots Suicide Prevention warmly invites you to attend key events to mark World Suicide Prevention Day in Brighton & Hove this September.
Our exciting evening event will take place on World Suicide Prevention Day itself, from 7 – 9.30 pm on Tuesday 10th September at BHASVIC Sixth Form College, 205 Dyke Road, Hove, BN3 6EG.
The evening’s activities will include:
- A performance from Right Here, a local project led by young people
- A personal story from local artist Yvonne J Foster of how a suicide prevention intervention touched her life
- A minute’s silence to remember those we have loved and lost to suicide
- A screening of our new film ‘Something in the Silence’
- A speech from James Moncrieff – Deputy Principle of BHASVIC Sixth Form College
- Brighton & Hove’s Deputy Mayor
- An update from Grassroots on the first year of our Suicide Safer Brighton & Hove Project
The theme for World Suicide Prevention this year is ‘Stigma: a major barrier to suicide prevention’ (www.iasp.info/wspd/). Stigma can be fatal as it can prevent people in need from reaching out and asking for help. We can collectively reduce stigma through taking part in, and talking about, events such as this.
Please RSVP by 30th August to firstname.lastname@example.org at the latest if you would like to attend this event. We hope to see you there for what will be an inspiring and fun evening.
Weekend and mid-week events
On Saturday 7th & Sunday 8th September, 10 am – 5 pm we are holding an event with information stands on Brighton seafront. Please come and join us, and tie a ribbon of hope or remembrance to the famous Kissing Sculpture. We are also planning a Zumbathon to raise money and celebrate life!
Our stand will be taking pledge signatures, selling books, and giving out suicide prevention resources to the public. We have room for 2 or 3 local organisations to join us by also having a stand. Please get in contact if you would like to join us:email@example.com
- Monday 9th – Friday 13th September we will be hosting a free, outdoor photographic exhibition in Jubilee Square, outside Brighton Library. The photographs will be beautiful portraits with a clear stigma reduction message.
- We hope you will join us at one or more of these events and look forward to connecting with you.
- Grassroots Suicide Prevention gratefully acknowledges funding from Public Health which has enabled us to organise these events.
Chris Brown, Funeral Director