In 1878, the original segment of Hove Cemetery which is located in the south of Shoreham Road was purchased after the deal to buy the land was signed. However, work did not start on the land before 1879 due to a quarrel with the Dyke Railway Company. One of the problems was the site’s eastern boundary happened to be the company’s branch line to Devil’s Dyke. Another issue was the Aldrington Estate and the Hove Commissioners had to confirm various legal rights including ownership.
Construction and design
Both chapels in the cemetery were designed in early 1880 by E.B. Ellice Clark who was a Hove Commissioners Surveyor. In 1880, Chichester’s bishop approved the design in 1880 with the exception of a tower as that idea was dropped for a less expensive spire. An archway with the thin spire at its top, links the pair of chapels which both have apsidal ends and measure 36 by 18 feet. Their internal walls are made from special Chelmsford bricks but these are hidden by flint work on the outside. One of the chapels was consecrated for use by Anglicans.
While the chapels were built by building contractor, James Longley and Company of Crawley, the lodge house of the superintendent was built by another building contractor, J. Marshall. Situated at the entryway of the cemetery, the surrounding brick and flint walls of the lodge house were also constructed by Marshall. For some time, there were arguments about how the cemetery ought to be extended. Eventually, in 1923, Hove Council paid £6,450 for over 20 acres of land located north of Old Shoreham Road.
Burials and sections
On 15 January 1882, Frederick Tooth became the first to ever be buried in Hove cemetery. He was a trustee of Shoreham Harbour, a Hove Commissioner, and a timber merchant by trade. On 27 May 1882, the cemetery was consecrated for the first time, starting with 8 acres. Not too long after this, another ½ acre was designated for Roman Catholic use.
In 1912, 4 acres of land that had been undeveloped was consecrated in an elaborate ceremony. This land was still on the south of Old Shoreham Road and had had trees planted and paths laid out in 1893. In 1981, a segment was designated for Muslims and there are segments for Coptic Orthodox Christians, Bahá’í followers and Polish burials. The Brighton and Hove Reform Synagogue oversees the two Jewish burial grounds situated in the northern part of the cemetery.
In 1917, a section was laid out for war graves south of the cemetery. It was set out for Canadian soldiers and was landscaped and enclosed in the 1920s by the Commonwealth (Imperial at the time) War Graves Commission (CWGC). Hove Cemetery holds the loved ones of families of all descents and backgrounds. Whoever you are, Sussex Funerals can arrange for your loved one to be laid to rest in Hove cemetery. Please call us on 01273 736469 to find out how we can help.
Sussex Funeral Services is rated 5.00 stars by Reviews.co.uk based on 31 merchant reviews